Eduardo Santana de Almeida, Ph.D.
Universidade Federal da Bahia (UFBA)
Instituto de Matemática
Av. Adhemar de Barros, S/N, Campus de Ondina, 40170-110
Salvador - Bahia, Brazil
Dr. Almeida is an assistant professor in the software engineering area at Federal University of Bahia, Brazil, where he is member of Software Engineering Lab (LES) and leads the RiSE Labs.
Before joined to this university, Dr. Almeida worked as a reuse scientist and consultant at Recife Center for Advanced Studies and Systems (C.E.S.A.R), where he conducted several industrial projects
focused on the various reuse aspects, such as methods, processes and tools and a software reuse professor at C.E.S.A.R. EDU. In the reuse efforts, Dr. Almeida has worked as project manager/researcher/scientist
involved since the conception solutions until their deployment. He is also the author of more than 170 papers published and presented in conferences on these and other software reuse topics
in leading venues worldwide and has served as referee in important journal papers with focus on reuse such as IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, IEEE Software, Journal of Systems and
Software and Information and Software Technology Journal (IST). He is also head of the Reuse in Software Engineering (RiSE) where one of his activities is to start
new cooperation projects around the word involving software reuse and Member of the Brazilian Committee
composed of 50 specialists in the software component area, created by Brazilian Government. Dr. Almeida was Co-Chair of the
6th Brazilian Workshop on Component-Based Development (2006), creator of the WIRE -
Workshop for Reuse Introduction in Companies where he has served as Co-Chair and Member of the Steering Committee, creator of the
RISS - RiSE Summer School on Software Reuse where he has served as Director, creator of the C.E.S.A.R's Seminars working as Chair,
Guest Editor of the Journal of the Brazilian Computer Society, Special Issue
on Software Reuse (2008), chair of the Doctoral Symposium at 13th International Software
Product Line Conference (SPLC) (2009), General Chair of the 4th Brazilian Symposium on Software Components, Architectures and Reuse (SBCARS) (2010), creator and Co-Chair of the First Workshop on Guidelines for Young Researchers in Software Engineering (2010),
Program Co-Chair of the 5th Workshop on Rapid Application Development (WRAD) (2011),
Program Chair of the 5th Brazilian Symposium on Software Components, Architectures and Reuse (SBCARS) (2011),
Program Co-Chair of the 15th International Software Product Line Conference (SPLC) (2011),
Sponsor of the first and only ACM chapter in Brazil (2011), Workshop Co-Chair of the
10th Working Conference on Software Architecture & 6th European Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA/ECSA) (2012),
Tutorial Chair of the 3rd Brazilian Conference on Software: Theory and Practice (CBSoft) (2012),
Publicity Chair of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Global Software Engineering (ICGSE) (2012), General Chair of the
16th International Software Product Line Conference (SPLC) (2012), Publicity Chair of the 13th International Conference on Software Reuse (ICSR) (2013), and General Chair of the 12th Brazilian Symposium on Software Quality (SBQS) (2013).
Porto Digital, in Recife and other cities in Brazil, Dr. Almeida in conjunction with the RiSE staff has been the main vehicle to introduce reuse ideas in industrial
and academic environment been responsible also to define the M.Sc. and Ph.D. courses focused on software reuse at the
Federal University of Pernambuco, C.E.S.A.R EDU, and UFBA. In the Government sector, Dr. Almeida is member of the advisory board in the area of Computer Science and Engineering from FAPESB, research agency for the
In the last years, Dr. Almeida has been Visiting Researcher in important groups working with software reuse such as University of Mannheim
(Colin Atkinson's Group), Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule (ETH) (Bertrand Meyer's Group) [short period] and Malardalen University (MDH) (Ivica Crnkovic's Group).
He is also an IEEE Senior Member, and member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), and the Brazilian Computer Society.
In addition, he leaded the conception on the first open source book on software reuse around the world, a awarded book on Guidelines for Young Researchers in Software Engineering, co-defined the First Software Reuse Program Residence (inspired in the Medical area) and
has worked as independent consultant involved in training, mentoring, consultant and solution development focused on software reuse. Dr. Almeida is also
IEEE Computer Society Certified Software Development Professional (CSDP). In 2008, Dr. Almeida
performed a Post-Doctoral research (Sabbatical) in Software Reuse, at Virginia Tech university, working with Dr. Bill Frakes.
- Visiting Researcher, 2012, 2013, Malardalen University (MDH), Malardalen, Sweden,
Ivica Crnkovic's Group.
- Post-Doc in Computer Science, Software Reuse area, 2008, Virginia Tech, Virginia, United States of America,
Bill Frakes' Group.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, 2007, Federal University of Pernambuco (UFPE),
- IEEE Computer Society Certified Software Development Professional (CSDP), 2007.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Certified, 2006.
- Visiting Researcher, 2006, University of Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany,
Colin Atkinson's Group.
- Visiting Researcher, 2006, Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule (ETH), Zurich, Switzerland,
Bertrand Meyer's Group.
- M.Sc. in Computer Science, 2003, Federal University of São Carlos (UFSCar),
- B.Sc. in Computer Science, 2000, Salvador University (UNIFACS),
- IEEE Senior Member, IEEE Computer Society, 2013.
- IBM Ph.D. Fellowship Award, Advisor of Ivan Machado (awarded), IBM, 2012.
- 3rd Best Master Dissertation Award, Advisor of Crescencio Rodrigues Neto, 11th Brazilian Symposium on Software Quality (SBQS), Curitiba, Brazil, 2012.
- Jabuti award, Top 10 books in Technology and Informatic, The Software Engineering Researcher Career: Principles, Concepts and Guidelines(in portuguese), Brazil, 2011.
- 1st Best Ph.D. Thesis Award, Advisor of Vinicius Garcia, 10th Brazilian Symposium on Software Quality (SBQS), Curitiba, Brazil, 2011.
- 1st Best Master Dissertation Award, Advisor of Ivan Machado, 10th Brazilian Symposium on Software Quality (SBQS), Curitiba, Brazil, 2011.
- Global Software Engineering and its impact on Software Reuse: What are the Opportunities and Challenges?, keynote speaker, 4th Workshop on Distributed Software Development (WDDS), Salvador, Bahia, Brazil, 2010.
- 2nd Best Master Dissertation Award, Advisor of Yguarata Cavalcanti, 9th Brazilian Symposium on Software Quality (SBQS), Belem, Brazil, 2010.
- Most Prolific DBLP Authors, DBLP, 2010.
- Nomination for Microsoft Research Faculty Fellowship Program, Microsoft Research, Latin American, Computer Science Department, Federal University of Bahia, Brazil, 2009.
- BAST: A Tool for Bug Report Analysis and Search, Third Place in the Tools Session, XVIII Brazilian Symposium on Software Engineering, Fortaleza - Brazil, 2009.
- Best Master Dissertation Award, Advisor of Fernando Raposo, 8th Brazilian Symposium on Software Quality (SBQS), Ouro Preto, Brazil, 2009.
- Software Reuse Measurement: What the Experts think about it, keynote speaker, 4th Workshop to Introduce Reuse in Enterprises, Recife, Brazil, 2009.
- C.E.S.A.R, RiSE and RiSE Labs – Bringing Innovation, Quality, and Experience in Software Reuse for Companies, keynote speaker, 7th NASA Joint Earth Science Data System Working Group Meeting (ESDSWG), Philadelphia, U.S., 2008.
- Nomination for the 26th Edition of Who's Who in the World, Marquis Biographee, achievements in research, U.S, 2008.
- COMPGOV Project: Shared Library for E-Gov Components,(in portuguese), among the ten best projects, Meeting of Software Quality and Productivity (EQPS), 7th Brazilian Simposium on Software Quality (SBQS), Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil, 2008
- Reuse in Software Engineering (RiSE),(in portuguese), among the ten best business plans, Intel + UC Berkeley Technology Entrepreneurship Challenge, Brazilian Contest (FGV-CEPE), São Paulo, Brazil, 2007.
- A CASE tool for Aspect-Oriented Software Development (in portuguese), among the three best tools in the Tools Session, XVIII Brazilian Symposium on Software Engineering, Brasilia/DF - Brazil, 2004.
- Why Components and Reuse did not work [at least] until now? (in portuguese), invited talk, Third Brazilian Workshop on Component-Based Development, Brazilian Computer Society, São Carlos, São Paulo - Brazil, 2003.
- MVCASE Tool: An Integrating Technologies Tool for the Distributed Component-Based Development (in portuguese), Third Place in the Tools Session, XVI Brazilian Symposium on Software Engineering, Gramado/RS - Brazil, 2002.
Computer Societies Membership:
- Barry W. Boehm
- Bill Frakes
- David Lorge Parnas
- Randy Pausch (in memoriam)
- Silvio Romero de Lemos Meira
- Victor Robert Basili
- Software Reuse: Methods, Processes, Tools, Environments, Economics, Measurement, Non-technical aspects
- Additional topics to improve Software Reuse:
- Empirical Software Engineering
- Model-Driven Development
- Software Architecture: Design, Evaluation, Documentation
- Software Evolution
- Software Measurement and Analysis
- Service-Oriented Development
- Software Visualization
Research Projects: I need to update it!!
Students Time during Ph.D. Thesis | Qualifying:
- An Approach for the Distributed Component-Based Software Development. (in portuguese) M.Sc. Dissertation, presented in February 11, 2003. For download, request for me.
Advisors: Antonio Francisco do Prado and Luis Carlos Trevelin
- RiDE: The RiSE Process for Domain Engineering. Ph.D. Thesis, presented in May 7, 2007. For download, request for me..
Advisor: Silvio Romero de Lemos Meira
Last updated on Apl 16, 2013 by esa(at)dcc(dot)ufba(dot)br